Friday, February 1, 2008

The Complete Peanuts


Well, for my (Matt's) birthday, mom and dad got me 2 volumes of the Complete Peanuts. It is incredible. These books are four years worth of Peanuts comics from the '60s. These were some good ones. It introduced Snoopy as the World War 1 Flying Ace. It introduced a kid named 5, and his sisters 3 and 4. His parents thought that everybody was going to end up being known as a number, so their family should be numbers 1-5. It introduced the kid who eventually introduced Charlie Brown to Peppermint Patty. Sally had to wear an eye patch for 6 months because she was developing a lazy eye. Anyway, I am really enjoying it, and I used a gift certificate to get the very first volume, 1950-52. I am looking forward to eventually getting all of the Peanuts comics, once they publish them all. I can't believe that Charles Schulz consistently put out comics for 50 years, and they were as funny and insightful as they were. I really wish I could have ideas and characters that are that well developed. I really do want to be a cartoonist. I'll have to keep working to get ideas and we'll see if I can submit it to a syndicate.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Excellent. Chuck Schultz was in a class of his own.

A couple years ago, I went to the official Charles Schultz museum in Santa Rosa, CA, where he spent most of his career and built an ice-skating rink. Somewhat disappointing as museums go -- although I don't know what I expected besides a few displays of memorabilia and famous panels. There were absolutely no skeletons or ancient artifacts. Still, it was an essential experience for a Peanuts fan.